 CAD / Development / 890
Re: idea on how to make making elements easier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 02:38:48 GMT

jonathan wilson wrote in message ...
i have an idea on how to make making elements easier that is free.
what you need: max2dat
ac3d (forget url)
crossroads (folow link on ac3d page)

what you do.
make the element in ac3d.
export it to a pov file.
convert it to a 3d studio file with crossroads.
then put it through max2dat, brick into ldraw and clean up.

I've already been down this road, except for the MAX step.  You can skip the
POV step and export your file as a DXF (does AC3D export 3DS?).  What I do
(or plan to do) different is I use a program called Pixel3D to preprocess
the DXF to reduce verts, join co-planar polys and get all the faces on the
right clock (I hope).  Since I don't have MAX I'm trying to come up with
another method of converting to DAT.  In essence, some of us are moving in
the direction you suggest.

Roy