 CAD / Development / 8619
8618  |  8620
Subject:
Art of Illusion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 00:48:18 GMT

Hey everyone -
After some private email exchange with Wayne Gramlich and Kevin Clague,
Wayne emailed me this (quoting with permission):

Kevin, Tim:

I saw all this traffic on LUGNet.CAD.Dev, and I feel
compelled to remind you folks about the Art of Illusion program
(http://www.artofillusion.org/) Art of Illusion has the
following things going for it:

   1) is open Source License (GPL to be specific),
   2) is multi-platform (Windows, Mac, & Linux),
   3) has a modular design to support new read/write formats
      (e.g. .ldr file format),
   4) supports scripting via BeanShell,
   5) has a fast renderer that supports ambient, diffuse, & specular
      reflection, mesh triangle support.  I don't know about brick
      outlining, but the source code is there,
   6) has its own ray-tracer built in,
   7) has real documentation, and
   8) has a thriving community of people using it.

About the only thing wrong with it, is that it wasn't
reinvented by the Lego community. ;-)

Ok, I'll go back into my hole now,

Later,

-Wayne

Wayne posted about AOI back in the fall, and I don't think it got many
this program. Wouldn't it be great if we could use it as an LDraw
editor/renderer? Is anyone willing to take a crack at creating an LDraw
read/write module?

http://www.artofillusion.org/gallery/files/encounter.jpg (try not to let the
big face scare you) ;-)

-Tim