 CAD / Development / 8576
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:28:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
Sorry, 'LDraw.org-compatible programs'.  Which is poor terminology, I
think.

I agree.  I don't think a program can be "compatible" with an organization.
It can be "certified" by one, though: LDraw.org-Certified.  Of course, this
might have stronger implications than LDraw.org-compatible.  On the other
hand, maybe that's a good thing.

Certified does sound better in that context, and I think certification could
be a good thing. We should figure out how best to frame it, but I think it
would add to the strength and usefulness of LDraw.org as a central resource
for all of these tools.

Speaking of LDraw.org as a central resource, some of us are working on the
website again, to create something that is easier to update and manage. The
test site being assembled off on a separate server uses PHP and a content
management system. While it's nowhere near ready to show others, just know
that this is being tackled. I forsee a site where many people can contribute
news easily, write tutorials without having to go through me as a
bottleneck, web software to manage software downloads, OMR, etc all
realistically attainable by the time the site launches. This will serve to
open up the site to many contributors, and solve the problem of content
stagnating and lack of updates (provided we have people willing to write
content).

More details to follow in the coming weeks. I'm not pressing to get this
done right away, so I can see the final site going live in a couple months.
Right now we're not ready for other contributors, as we have someone working
very hard assembling the current stuff. When we're ready for more help, I'll
post.

Sorry to be so vague right now, but it's not organized enough yet to be more
detailed.

-Tim