 CAD / Development / 8551
Re: Calling all Meta-commands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:27:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
... and a process for new meta-commands to
get added to the spec. As Larry suggested here:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=8415

the standards body should control the (officially adopted) meta-commands.

'Control' is heavy-handed for my tastes.  'Support', 'endorse', 'coordinate' are
all better.  All a standards body could do is manage the documentation, and
encourage people to use the standard language.

Good point. Thanks for nit-correcting, I think the intent is there on my
part but semantics can play a role in whether or not people like/dislike an
idea.

'Control' is not possible -- all
anyone has to do is say, "Hey ldraw.org!  I think you people made stupid decisions
on meta-statement FOO, and I'm going to implement it my own way."

You're right on that part. That's why it would be a good thing to encourage
(not lord over) programmers to comply. That could be in the form of
association with LDraw.org -- and making LDraw.org something programmers
want their programs to be associated with.

Others in the software industry or with more programming/standards
experience may be more articulate than I am on this issue. Just making it
known that I stand behind an effort to organize the LDraw file format spec
and establish a process for improving upon that spec.

Nit: that would be LDraw.org file format spec.

I stand corrected.

-Tim