 CAD / Development / 8523
Re: Calling all Meta-commands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 00:26:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Dan Boger wrote:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 06:49:18PM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

One thing that I think would help reduce namespace pollution is if everyone
did what LTrax did... prefix the command with the app name for uniqueness.
Not a perfect solution, of course.

except that if you do that, it discourages cross-tool commands.  If I'm
writing FooCAD, and I want to implement one of the LTrax commands,
should I make a new command '0 FooCad xxxx'?  should I secretly support
the '0 LTrax xxxx'?

I agree with Larry -- support it publically.  Recognize '0 LTrax xxxx' as
the primary syntax for the command.

Especially, let the author of the original command know that you are
implement their command.  Hopefully, that will give them cause to solidify
the syntax, or at least pause before they change it arbitrarily.

I'm not sure what the best answer here is.  Maybe aliasing (internally)
'0 LTrax xxxx' to '0 FooCAD xxxx' does make sense?

If that works inside your program, that would be fine.
/^\s*0\s+(LTrax|FooCAD)\s+xxxx\s/i isn't *that* hard to write.

Steve