 CAD / Development / 8457
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:53:32 GMT

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 03:44:08PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
If non-programmers think the braces make it too difficult to enter by hand,
I'm comfortable with not having them, and just using 0 META to specify
meta-commands.

I'm sorry, I can't understand why it's "too difficult" to enter {} by
hand.  It's on the standard keyboard.  The people who actually edit
stuff by hand have the requirement of knowing how to use a keyboard :)
I mean, when SMTP format was design, you think they were worried that
people will have a hard time typing "@"? *grin*

I know how to use a keyboard. I'm talking convenience on the part of someone
editing by hand. {} isn't necessary, so why add it to the mix?

Exactly because it's not likely to be used, ever, by mistake.   Anyone
can put whatever comments they like in a dat, right?  So if I write a
dat, and want to enter

0 METAL RAIL STARTS HERE

and typo it into

0 META LRAIL STARTS HERE

(which is a common mistake for me)

suddenly, my comment is going to be parsed as a meta command!  While I
hope that no program will actually understand what the LRAIL
meta-command is, programs that do understand (and show) comments would
ignore this line - it's not a comment, it's a meta command.

By adding the {}, we ensure that a mistake like this just couldn't
happen.  Or at least very unlikely to happen.

Just my $0.02

:)

--
Dan Boger