 CAD / Development / 8455
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:44:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Dan Boger writes:
On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 06:22:40AM +0000, Travis Cobbs wrote:
Another suggestion Kevin kicked around with me (and I mentioned it to Steve,
I forget his rection though), was introducing a new line type specifically
for meta-commands. Thoughts on that?

Well, I don't know about other programs, but LDView will throw them in the
error log, but otherwise ignore them.  It would be really easy for me to add
support for the new type and not throw them in the error log, though.

One downside of a new line type is that I think we would need to wait for
fairly wide-spread tool support of the new line type before we could
reasonably make it "official".

besides, if we add a new linetype, we're breaking LDRAW.EXE and
LEDIT.EXE, wouldn't we?

Yup, LEdit chokes on it, just tried it out using unused line type 9 with
text after it. D'oh.

If non-programmers think the braces make it too difficult to enter by hand,
I'm comfortable with not having them, and just using 0 META to specify
meta-commands.

I'm sorry, I can't understand why it's "too difficult" to enter {} by
hand.  It's on the standard keyboard.  The people who actually edit
stuff by hand have the requirement of knowing how to use a keyboard :)
I mean, when SMTP format was design, you think they were worried that
people will have a hard time typing "@"? *grin*

I know how to use a keyboard. I'm talking convenience on the part of someone
editing by hand. {} isn't necessary, so why add it to the mix?

Nevertheless - I do think RIGHT NOW the focus should be on documenting what
we have, per Kevin's goals, and LATER we should worry about the future of
meta-commands. One thing at a time.

This seems reasonable.  However, news threads (including this branch of this
one) can't really easily be put on hold.

Also, most of us don't really have anything to contribute to the
documentation process - it's up to the program authors to supply the
data.  Meanwhile, the community as a whole can consider and design the
future of the format here :)

Sure.

-Tim