 CAD / Development / 842
Re: A solution to the part numbering problem? (Was: vote 9902)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:13:00 GMT

And what about going a step more?..I mean creating a new subdirectory named like
"shorts" for the shortcuts.

If you think about it, you can see that we have much of them (minifig, hinges,
turntables, suspensions, universal joint, wheel holders, truss-like support,
palm tree, flower, motors, RCX, sensors, all pre-glued parts, etc.)

Selçuk

It sounds like a good compromise between our two party fractions.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen

Selçuk wrote in message ...
Wow...How nice. I really like this idea. I have been always behind the idea
of separating those two universe, but couldn't realise that they could be
both "separate" and "together" at the same time. Nice and elegant solution
in my side.

What's you opinion then, other fellows?

Selçuk

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote in message ...
Terry K (legoverse@geocities.com) wrote:
I am truly sorry that we are going through this problem.
But LDraw is a dual purpose program.  The original purpose, and one that • is
still valid, useful, and needed, is that of a parts reference.  A parts
reference that depends on using TLG part numbers.

What about adding a "reference" catalog to the LDraw tree?

It should be used for LDraw files with _exact_ part-number
relations.

The name could be "LDraw\LEGO", "LDraw\Official", or
"LDraw\Reference" (the last is too long).

Parts like the six long antennae, the 9V motor, and the boat
would appear as colour 16 in "LDraw\Parts", but _also_ in
the reference catalog with a fixed colour (combination).
I presume 3001 would appear as colour 16 in the reference
catalog too (but who knows).

Nobody should feel forced to install the reference catalog.
It should just be a service to the "part number fanatics"
(with apologies for my limited knowledge of English ;-).

Play well,

Jacob