 CAD / Development / 8300
Re: When (if) to use optional lines?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:34:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lance Hopenwasser writes:
I am just about to finish development of a fairly complicated piece
(24-tooth gear with 3 axlesholes), and in looking at previous posts and
documentation I have seen some talk about optional lines.  Currently I have
not used them at all.  What are the guidelines for including them?  Are they
really just a holdover from a generation of less-sophisticated renderers?
What in the world is their real purpose?

Thanks!
--Lance--

Hi Lance,

I asked the same question last summer and since then have come to realize
optional lines are useful.

Here's the thread to my original question (and the many replies):

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7117

Here's a thread on how optional lines help smoothing algorithms:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7198

More on smoothing:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7559

-Orion