 CAD / Development / 8297
Re: LDRAW and Blender
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:57:03 GMT

Matthew,

I was wondering when someone would develop an import routine for Blender.  I have used and known about Blender for some
time.  Over time, I would not be surprised to see the community embrace Blender as its favorite renderer even over
POVRAY given that it has so many more capabilities.  Now the community can create their own MOCGs (video games) using
Blender's built in game engine!  And let's face it, it is much easier to place cameras and lights in Blender than it is
in POVRAY.  Add to this the ability to model within Blender, and you have some incredible capabilities.

Stay the course, you are creating a much needed tool.  I look forward to tracking your development.
--
Steven B. Combs, Publisher
Bricks in my Pocket (BimP)

BimP Submission Information:
http://www.bricksinmypocket.org/submissions.html

lugnet member #414
"Matthew "meestaplu" Plough" <zerog_studios@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:H9GLLv.26p@lugnet.com...
Hi all ---

I am currently working on an LDRAW to Blender importer written in Python.
For those of you who have never heard of Blender, it is a free, open source
3d modeler and renderer that includes a Python API (see it at
www.blender.org).  For those of you who have - wohoo!

Anyway, the current version is 0.3 beta and is available at
http://www.geocities.com/zerog_studios.  I will release version 0.6 within
the next couple of days.

Version 0.6 beta features:
- runs in Blender Publisher version 2.25
- limited color import; see the documentation when I release it
- piece caching -- a piece is only imported once per run and duplicate
vertices are removed
- material caching -- one material per color, and unsupported colors are
assigned materials so they can be easily hand edited
- proper scaling (a model won't be huge); I'm working on orienting it correctly

A GUI is in the works, and so is improved support for nested models.  I hope
to release an updated version every couple of weeks.

Play nice!
Matthew Plough