 CAD / Development / 8093
Re: I would like to work on part 3648
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:49:59 GMT

"Chris Dee" <chris_w_dee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:H7Busx.Hu1@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lance Hopenwasser writes:
I have been playing around with LDraw, and I have decided that I would • like
to make an attempt to fix the Technic Gear 24 Tooth part.  I noticed that
there are several polygons near the axle hole that are "out-of-bounds" • (one
vertex from several polygons were accidently defined some distance from • the
edge vertex they are supposed to be at), and I would also like to make it
BFC certified.  Finally, once I am getting more comfortable, I would like • to
try to make the 3-axle version.

I tried to send an e-mail to the original author, Remco Braak, but
apparently the listed e-mail is no longer valid.  So would it be okay for • me
to update this part, and if so, what do I need to do to submit it to • LDraw
once I am done?

Thanks,
--Lance--

Actually, Lance, there is an updated version of 3648 already on the Parts
Tracker (the system we use to review and certify unofficial parts) at
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=3648

Oops, I guess I should have checked that first.

But I'm not sure this addresses the problems you identify and it is • certainly
not BFC compliant. If you'd like to have a try at further updating this, • I'd
suggest you check with Mark Kennedy - the author of the latest version - • or
maybe Mark could post his agreement here.

At previously discussed, this needs to be renamed to 3648b.dat, so if you • want
to work on the three axle version as 3648a.dat, you're welcome.

Personally, I'm not too happy about the trapezoidal gear teeth on the • official
part or as the cog.dat primitive, as teeth should vary in profile • depending on
the diameter of the cog. So if you have the energy you might want to • rework the
24-gear tooth as a primitive (suggested name tooth24) that can be shared
between 3648a, 3648b and other 24-tooth parts.

The updated version does indeed fix the polygon problem I noticed, although
as you pointed out it is not BFC compliant.  I agree that each gear-size
should
have appropriate teeth widths, preferably as a primitive.  I was noticing
that
they were different sizes just the other day. I would still like to see what
could do with this, but I certainly don't want to step on anybody's toes.
Do
you know how I can get in touch with Mark (if he's not checking this
discussion)?  His e-mail is not listed in the part and he does not seem to
be
listed in the LUGNet member directory.

When you have something to share on the Parts Tracker, you can either get • a
userid by mailing Steve Bliss (parts@ldraw.org) or sending the file(s) • directly
to Steve or I who can submit on your behalf.

Hope this helps, Chris

Definitely.  Thanks.
--Lance--