 CAD / Development / 8043
Re: Glass... to BFC or not to BFC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:06:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tony Hafner writes:
When authoring "glass" parts, should I include BFC statements?

It seems like we wouldn't want to cull because all surfaces should be
visible from any direction.  On the other hand, BFC is a performance
optimization and transparent surfaces are generally a bigger perf hit than
other surfaces.

They require a different approach to optimization - visibility culling, not
backface culling.

You're right in thinking they should not be BFC. The exception I think might
be a full box - which gets composited twice in a polygon system like OpenGL,
making it extra dark like two pieces of colored film - but that's some of
the appeal, that you can see it's two polygons thick in places.

A volumetric renderer would want to treat the box as a transparent volume.
Whole nuther problem.

-Erik
--
Har du mig hår igen? (Muminröster)