 CAD / Development / 7495
Re: Similar patterned parts in different colours
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 07:35:16 GMT

Like in 973p11 "~Moved to 973p1a, 973p1b, 973p1c" - that would be OK with me.

Chris

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
Chris,

I recommend we change the titles on the original part files to some
variation of "~Moved to ...".  That will give programs that analyze the
library some chance of recognizing that these files are no longer going
concerns.

Steve

In lugnet.cad.dev, Chris Dee writes:
In the past, in an attempt to conserve the dwindling supply of two-digit
pattern codes, we decided on a special way to handle patterned parts where • the
pattern existed in more than one colour.

The base part was hard coded (usually white), and the "part colour" was used • to
control the pattern colour. Most notably this was done for several groups of
patterned minifig torsos, eg 973p11 - the town dungarees pattern, the two
Imperial Guard patterns 973p35 and 973p37.

This has caused some confusion, but with the decision to allow pattern codes • to
use non-numeric characters (except i, l, o, p) we now have less of a need to • be
ultra-conservative with these codes.

Steve and I have discussed this and make the following recommendations
- existing parts of this form will be retained for backward compatibility, • but
be hidden from the parts lists by adding the '~' prefix to their • descriptions.
- new parts will be created following the conventional authoring rules:
hard-code the pattern colour and let the "part colour" control the base part.
- where possible, subparting techniques will be used to share the pattern • code
between the three or more parts (the hidden file and the 2+ coloured • versions)

I have made a start with the five torso groups
973p11 - Minifig Torso with Dungarees Pattern
973p15 - Minifig Torso with Horizontal Stripes Pattern
973p35 - Minifig Torso with Imperial Guard Pattern
973p37 - Minifig Torso with Imperial Guard Officer Pattern
973p65 - Minifig Torso with Futuron Pattern
and added the new parts and subparts to the parts tracker.

I still need to change the Patterned Parts Summary to hide the "~" prefixed
files.

Chris