 CAD / Development / 7488
Re: File Header request for Minifig Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:32:12 GMT

hi steve,

4. You can always redefine the way MLCAD groups parts.  For instance, I
separate all decorated bricks from regular bricks by having a "Brick,
Deco" group defined to match "<Brick & ( Pattern | Logo | Picture )".
So MLCAD problems can be addressed within MLCAD, not by changing the
LDraw library.

many thx for the hint.

If we want to reorganize the 'minifig parts', a lot of the work should
be done by adding 0 CATEGORY statements to files, rather than changing
all the part titles.  Although some parts may be retitled as part of the
reorg.

In general, most of your category suggestions have been made, and mulled
over, before.  I've had a very detailed discussion on this exact topic.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I've lost the results of that discussion - my
email history gets cleared out once a year (I'm running a search while I
type this).  But basically, I would argue that it's better to have a few
well-chosen categories than to make a lot of categories (well-chosen or
not
Specific comments on your suggested categories follow...

Minifig Footgear = ski, flipper
Minifig Headgear = cap, castle helmet, diver mask, feathers with pin, plume small...
Minifig Neckgear = armor plate, air tank, backpack, container D-basket, arrow quiver...

There isn't enough footgear or neckgear to warrant separate categories.
I could see a category like "Minifig wearable parts" (but with a
different name).

are we takling about categories like "brick" and "plate" or sub-categories,
which will need a renaming of the header? probably the fact that I just use
MLCad causes some misunderstanding. I can't see a benefit by just adding the
0 CATEGORY statements. even if all the foot-, head- and neckgear is grouped
in there own category, they will be spread out all over the category. the
wizards hat will still lay next to the whip and far away from the top or
police hat.
as long as the specific information comes befor the general the library will
be a mess. I'm not asking to change 100 minifig-parts in one rush. The
renaming could be undertaken as a long-term task. say all the hats, 10 tools ...

Minifig Weapon = bow with arrow, gun revolver, polearm halberd, sword, shield with ...

I would not want to see weapons category.  Call me idealistic, but I
don't want to honor these parts with their own listing.

so do I, but ... they have been invented for a very specific purpose and I
don't think that we should soften or hide this fact. I'm sick of all this
p.c. I can't stand any more press conferences where a general shows a
video-game-like attack with "intelligent bombs", where just the bad guys get
killed. a sword IS a weapon. (I won't go beyond. first because this is not
the right place for a discussion like this and second that my english isn't
enough to explain correctly my thoughts).

willy