 CAD / Development / 7290
Re: new category??? "MiniBot"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:46:10 GMT

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/30375.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/30376.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/30377.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/30378.dat

Hmm.  These parts *should* be under a Minifig category, but not
necessarily the general Minifig category.  Then again, two of these
parts are used for the LOM Martians, along with a couple of other
related parts -- so these qualify as "figure" pieces, not just "robot"
pieces.  So maybe they should be in the general Minifig category.

Plus, we've already got the astromech leg:
30362.DAT     Minifig Robot Leg

Ack!  I never liked that name.  I always think, "What _kind_ of robot?
Battle Droid?  Astromech?  Protocol?  (etc.)"...

Also, the "Minifig" Category, in my opinion, should be just for
minifig-compatible stuff, i.e., _parts_ of a minifig (in other
words, minifig anatomy).

I wouldn't mind a new Category, "Droid", for all these "SW" droid parts.

So how about these names:

30375.DAT     Minifig Robot Torso
(this piece has no clips, but should it still have a 'Clip-on' tag?)

30376.DAT     Minifig Robot Legs Clip-on

30377.DAT     Minifig Robot Arm Clip-on

30378.DAT     Minifig Robot Head SW Battle Droid
(this is a very specific mold, so the 'Battle Droid' tag is alright)

With all of these, the (mis)perception would be that
they are compatible with the "Minifig Robot Leg" above,
when in fact, they're totally incompatible.

So...  How about these names?

30362.DAT   Droid Astromech Leg
30377.DAT   Droid Clip-on Arm
xxxxx.DAT   Droid Clip-on Head Martian   [1]
30378.DAT   Droid Clip-on Head SW Battle Droid
xxxxx.DAT   Droid Clip-on Legs Martian   [1]
30376.DAT   Droid Clip-on Legs SW Battle Droid
30375.DAT   Droid Clip-on Torso

[1] (I don't know the part number for the LOM legs or head.)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Franklin