 CAD / Development / 6544
6543  |  6545
Subject:
Quick Parts Authoring Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 16:06:03 GMT

Hey Y'all:

It seems to me that a lot of you work through a lot of stuff on paper first,
given that I wondered what sort of tools you might use.

1. Do you use isometric grid paper (if it exists...)?

2. Do you use tools like calipers, what have you (how do you physically
measure the inside of a part)?

3. When authoring a part, what is the relationship of the element to the
origin of the coordinate system? Is the origin supposed to be the X,Y,Z
center of the element?

4. Obviously using primitives is similar to reusing blocks of code, but
clearly one does not have to do so.  Should one use primitives? Why?

5. I wasn't clear on the notation for slicing a primitive at an angle (if
say I didn't want the upper portion of an interior tube, or cylinder, to
continue through a plane representing a surface slope) -- is there special
notation for that?

6. When I place a primitive in my dat file, is it automatically oriented in
a certain position (probably not)? How does one orient the primitive in the
dat file, what is the notation?

7. Is it always the case that the wireframe is the graphic representation of
the "Type 2 Edge Lines? Are there exceptions?

8. Can anyone recommend any superior resources for Three-Dimensional
Geometry or Coordinate Systems, etc. either online or as a book? Is that
overstressing the issue (I can see where the main point is to merely map the
points of a part)?

I apologize if some of these questions seem quite elementary to you people,
it's been forever since I took ANY kind of geometry (18 years or so).

Thanks in advance,

-- Hop-Frog