 CAD / Development / 6487
Re: LDGLite bug reports
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:42:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
The near z clipping plane IS limited to non-negative numbers.
It is the distance along the vector from the eye/camera to the
model origin. A negative number would put it behind the eye,
which is illegal in opengl.

Considering that we are considering parallel projections, the
concept of an "eye" position is rather strange.

Well, one could think of the orthographic projection as a perspective
projection seen from an infinite distance through a telephoto lense
(at least that's the way I think of it).  I'm not sure that helps
me come up with unified coordinate system for all these options though.
Unfortunatly the original ldraw coordinate system seems to be built
around 2D screen coords and isn't really well suited to multiple types
of viewing system transforms.  You can see this in the original ldlite
command line options where -o doesn't have a z coordinate.  I'm pretty
sure the -oX,Y adjustment is actually done after the conversion to
screen coordinates.

Anyways, let me know after you fiddle some more with the -cc and -co
options what you like and what you'd prefer to change.  I'd like to be
more compatible with l3p here, but I'll listen to any ideas.

As for an account on the alpha, that sounds like it could work out.
I have a cable modem now so I shouldn't have a problem with bandwidth,
and with xvfb I could debug via ssh or telnet.  Do you have a copy of
emacs on this thing?  Let me know via email about the account.

Don