 CAD / Development / 63
Re: Proposal for Revised Memorial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:51:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper Janssen) writes:
On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:53:57 GMT, Tim Courtney <tcourtney@avenew.com>
wrote:
At the moment I can't even get sendmail to work. :-(

That's the thing that automatically sends email to an address like from a
form or something on a site, right?

On Unix machines, yes, basically.  Although sendmail won't automatically
generate email from scratch, if you pass it a valid SMTP document, it will
fill in various headers and make sure the mail gets to its destination one
way or another (or times out and eventually bounces).  It maintains its own
dynamic-priority output queue and wakes up every so often to retry failed
connection attempts to other machines on the net.  For example, at the
moment, there are 127 pieces of undelivered e-mail totalling 277962 bytes
sitting in the sendmail queue on lugnet.com.  Almost all of these are queued
up for someone at gfxzone.com and someone else at hartwick.edu due to
connection timeouts at the receiving end.  This is business as usual for
Internet mail, and the messages will probably be delivered within the next
few hours, or bounce after 5 days.

But sendmail does a lot more than just sending mail.  It's sort of a "jack
of all trades" in terms of SMTP mail...

Sendmail is actually the SMTP daemon, the program that accepts email
messages being thrown at a certain machine (after which youi can
retrieve them from that machine with pop3d) .

That's certainly one of the things it can do.  But it can also send and
deliver mail messages to multiple local users on a single machine without
using TCP/IP, and it work with procmail to filter mail, and it can expand
complex address lists, and just about any crazy old configurable mail-
related thing.  It's a true beast, and the ORA book for it is 1021 pages.
:)

--Todd

My sendmail is working
perfectly, tho. janssen.dynip.com is my home linux gateway
box/mailserver.