 CAD / Development / 6187
Re: Is there any benefit...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 18:29:10 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com>
To: <lugnet.cad.dev@lugnet.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: Is there any benefit...

The main advantage would be saving a few bytes of file space.  Which is • most
significant to the download process, since we've got about 3MB of data,
between ldraw.exe and complete.exe.

The rendering time would be *mostly* unaffected.  On the on hand, • recursing
into another file takes some time, and that tends to slow things down. • But
if the files are smaller, then the IO could speed up a little bit.

  It's not worth the trouble:

  - You're talking about saving a few bytes on a text file, it will make
even less difference on the compressed archive.
  - Using primitives can be slower, you'd be opening a new file and then
adding a new matrix to the transformation and multiplying each vertex by
this matrix.
  - We need more help in other areas if you have enough time to spare.

Leonardo