 CAD / Development / 5384
Re: Unusual View matrices in LDRAW.INI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 23:56:42 GMT

Don Heyse <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> wrote:

I knew there was a way to decompose the matrices!  But I couldn't find it.
Where is that written down?

It's from Graphics Gems II, the code for which is available online (linked
from http://www.acm.org/tog/Software.html ).

I also thought there was a way to remove the
cumulative round off errors in a transformation matrix after many matrix
multiplications.  Do you happen to know how to do that as well?

That's called (re-)orthogonalization.  Graphics Gems I has code to do it.

You might also reconsider whatever it is that's causing the matrix to become
nonorthogonal.  In the case of arcball-type rotation you can:

1. Store the current transform matrix M when the rotation begins
2. Store the initial arcball conditions (cursor location, etc.)
3. For each mouse movement, compute the transform M' from the original
location to the current one - that is, don't use incremental updates
4. Multiply M and M' to get the rotated transform, and apply it to the object
5. When done, update M to M * M'

I've been using the Gems arcball code in this manner for years and have
never had to deal with orthogonalization.

PS.  I might do a new ldglite release this weekend.  Lots of bug fixes
and I tried to add some more of the missing ldlite features.

Cool!

Steve
--
Barb & Steve Demlow  |  demlow@visi.com  |  www.visi.com/~demlow/