 CAD / Development / 4843
Re: Part Command (1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:05:45 GMT

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Michael Lachmann wrote:
Ok,

thanks - than I will restrict the possible file-names when entering for mpd
to 8.3 notation to be compatible.

I personally am agaist this !

DAT/MPD files SHOULD be Compatible (NOT MUST BE), because people may have no
desire to keep it's compatibility, it's a choice up to the user.
This offcourse is only related with peoples models, NOT oficial parts, these
should be enforced to be in 8.3 file type format for portability.

Eventually, and this would be nice: the program could issue a warning if the
user tryed to save the file with NON 8.3 file type references, but even this
warning should be possible to be disabled, since someone who doesn't want
backwards compatibility or portability to other systems would be constantly
"arressed" by the program. (How is that word spelled ??)

One final sugestion (that just came up), is to provide a converter which would
replace all the NON 8.3 complient file references with complient ones, and
obviously copying the files with NON complient filenames to the respective
complient names defined/convert in the refering file.
Was I clear about the previous ideia ?

P.S.
  The converter could also allow for file case style forcing, to make DAT
porting to Non-case sensitive file systems easy.

See ya

Rui Martins