 CAD / Development / 4837
    Re: question on naming - pirate guns vs. modern guns —John Rudy
   (...) Not all muskets have a belled muzzle. Civil War era muskets were non-belled, making them much more accurate. I believe "musket" refers to muzzle loading, as a butt loading rifle was known as a carbine. Sorry, I'm a stickler for history. -John (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: question on naming - pirate guns vs. modern guns —Bruce Schlickbernd
   (...) Which wouldn't explain an arquebus, the muzzle-loading precursor to the musket. I believe the difference between the two when both were used was that the musket had a longer barrel and fired a heavier ball (armor could be "proof" against an (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)