 CAD / Development / 4782
4781  |  4783
Subject:
Part-Submission Requests/Guidelines/Tips
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:45:08 GMT

While processing files, in preparation for the 2000-02 update cycle, I've been
running into a few things that have bogged down the process.  In an effort to
increase the speed of these things, I wanted to post a few pointers for parts-
authors.

BTW, the parts generally look *very* good.  There are about 120 new files and
fixes ready for voting, and another 20 or so in process.  I'm getting excited
for the next update. :)

1. When you submit your part files, send them as an attachment, not as inline
text.  It's much easier to detach/save attached files than it is to save&edit,
or select,copy,create-file&paste.

Zip attachments are good, too.

If you can't do e-mail attachments, then inline text is fine.  I won't refuse
the files or bite you.  If there are multiple files, MPD formatting is a good
idea.  :)

2. If you don't know the part-number, then *please* don't guess.  TLC does
weird things with part numbers.  They are rarely logical.

Actually, when you submit file(s), it wouldn't hurt to mention if the part
numbers were molded on the part, taken from a list posted on the internet, or
whatever.

For parts that you don't know the number, you can use totally invalid
filenames (like SB001.dat, or mantaray.dat, or something).  Or you can ask me
to reserve a few numbers for you.  I'll give you a list of numbers you can use
for parts with unknown numbers.

3. If you can't think of a good name, feel free to ask me --
partsref@worldnet.att.net.

Heck, if you've got most any question (about parts) feel free to ask.

4. Files in ldraw\parts\ should be files that model-makers might have to deal
with directly.  That means they should either be actual parts, components of
composite parts (like the parts referenced by 3149c01.dat, the classic 2x5x2/3
plate hinge), or they should be sections of flexible parts.

If you have some other subfiles, they should go in ldraw\parts\s\, and be
referenced in your main file as s\<whatever>.dat.

Thank you all for your contributions to L-CAD!

Steve