 CAD / Development / 4415
4414  |  4416
Subject:
LDraw Help Desk/Reference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 02:13:47 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Greetings

The ldraw.org website is in serious need of a help section for
troubleshooting installation problems.  It seems that on a weekly
basis I receive a few emails asking about the RTE200 and Error 003.  I
am not very technically up to par on LDraw and how to get it going -
so I direct people to lugnet.cad.  But it is getting slightly annoying
having to do that on a consistent basis.

Jacob and I have entertained the idea of an LDraw help desk, where
there are searchable topics in a question form on how to get LDraw
working, getting the parts libraries working, etc.  This would be
backed by a panel of a few experts attached to an email address
@ldraw.org who could reply to questions which do not appear in the
collection.

My hinderance is - I don't have near the time needed to build
something like this, nor do I have the knowledge to write the topics
myself.  My time has been diverted to a website job currently,
finishing high school strong, and I'm also going to take a job with
the US Census in a few weeks.  I'll be lucky to get that LDraw CD-ROM
out in a couple months.

Does anyone have suggestions for this, or better yet, have the ability
to volunteer a few hours and put together some text help topics?  I
can arrange these into HTML form and put them online.  This would be a
GREAT help to new LDraw users and also a relief to my email box :)

After this, Jacob can probably work on a system to make the 'Help
Desk' portion of the site, and a few people can run that.  There isn't
a huge load of questions - but after the CD-ROM gets moving and we
(hopefully) have more exposure for LDraw, things *might* speed up.

Another quick thing - is if anyone can take a few hours and edit some
rough resources I have collected at a hidden URL, we can get these
online.  This includes PARTS AUTHORING TUTORIAL STUFF! :) :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.  Feel free to email me at
tim@zacktron.com, or post to l.c.d.org.ldraw.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org