 CAD / Development / 4018
Re: How is parts.lst created / solving VEC problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 22:45:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, James Wilson wrote:

Is there a description somewhere of how the parts list is created and
maintained, and changed when new updates are added?

parts.lst is created by mklist.exe, makelist.exe, or LDAO.  You have to remember
to re-run one of these utilities after installing a new parts update.  Although
the current versions of LDAO watch the parts directory, and prompt you update
the parts list when necessary.

The reason I ask is, using LDAO, I really hate it when my VEC is wider than one
screen's worth of pictures.  It appears that the screen width is determined by
the size of the images (maybe I'm wrong here).

The horizontal scrolling is determined by the number & size of the images in a
category.  As many columns as will fit in the display window are used to show
the parts in a category.  But, there is only a certain amount of vertical
scrolling allowed (it's a limit of the way the VEC is coded).   If a category is
big enough to overflow this vertical limit, more multiple columns are created,
even though horizontal scrolling is required to view all images.

What I'd like to do is go through and find the biggest parts and render them at
a smaller scale, so they take up less screen real estate.  I'm guessing I could
mark them as "new" somehow in the parts list and re-render them.

What I do is to right click the offending image, and choose "Delete Image".
Once I've got all the images deleted, I do another Make Catalog.  The default
mode for Make Catalog is to only generate images which are missing or outdated.

Also, by the same token, I'd like to be able to set up the VEC with different
colors for different parts, either changing colors when parts are replaced or
added.  Or having some parts rendered in certain colors because that's how I
visualize them -- 45-degree slope bricks, for example, will always be red in my
mind.

For now, the only way to do this is to delete the images, and rerender them with
the color selected.

On the Make Catalog dialog, in the lower right corner, you can save specific
rendering settings as a 'scheme'.  I have two catalog schemes -- one for most
pieces (zoom to 85%), and another for baseplates (overhead view, zoom to 45%).

These are probably several separate problems/steps, and if there's a FAQ,
tutorial, readme file, or message out there somewhere that would get me
started, I'd greatly appreciate it.

There's no write-up for this issue, sorry.

Steve