 CAD / Development / 3988
Re: Looking for a part
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:25:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Paul Easter wrote:

I did not start on this part since I had seen the discussion on it's angle as
well. The parts I have are from an Insectoids set "Bug Blaster". I measure
them pointing down at about 3.8 to 4 degrees off of the horizontal plane.

I wrote 9 degrees from memory.  I couldn't locate the previous discussion.

I have found this part on another set #6837 "Cosmic Creeper".
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6837

It appears in a good number of sets.  Many Insectoid sets (six or more), at
least three Spaceport sets, and the Mos Espa Podrace set.

In this set the part is at a square 90 degrees. No Kidding, I even had my wife
compare this part to the one in the #6903 "Bug Blaster" set.
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6903
She even agreed that they were at different angles.

So What I am saying is that #6903 is 3.8 to 4 deg. pointed down and #6837 is
at 0 deg.(90 deg. to the 1 x 2 plate)
For a simple test. If you have 2 of the same part, snap them both to a 4x8
plate and face the 1x2 stud opposite directions, then look across the 1x2's.

I have 2 of each part, for a total of 4. All seem to have the same 30209
number molded in them. The other numbers (I'm assuming these are moulding
cavity numbers) change just a little bit set#6903 they are "2-02" and "1-02"
and set #6837 "2-02" and "3-02".
So maybe that 9 deg. is really possible...(Didn't mean to doubt you guys...)

Hmm.  I wonder what caused the variation.  A few ideas:

1. Differences between the molds in the mold?[1]
  -- No, because you have two "2-02" pieces at different angles.

3. Mishandling of the pieces after molding?  Were they demolded too soon, and
the plate got bent?
  -- Seems unlikely, the plates would have been misshapen--saggy, or curved.

2. Are the plates attached to the disks after molding?
  -- I can't check this right now, I don't have any handy.

Got any suggestions?

If you make this piece, go for the square 90 degree angle.  The small angle
would be a big pain to match when building a model.

Steve
--
1) What's the proper way to say that?