 CAD / Development / 3856
Re: Colors for pneumatic cylinder (was Re: Looking for broken pneumatics)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:01:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, John Jensen wrote:

Now the to the colors of this part, there's three of them, how to handle that?
I've thought of making the yellow parts color 16 (I believe I've seen blue
versions of this part), and hardcode the black parts, but how to hardcode the
metal rod? Should I just use a color 7?

Like Jacob said, the metal rod should be done as chrome, 383.

To achieve maximum color flexibility, and to allow the plunger to be moved in
and out, you'll need to use multiple files for this part.

To let the plunger move, you'd need to use two files:  one for the cylinder, and
another for the plunger/rod.

If you want to allow any colors to be used for the part (good for future
changes, and to allow people to use false-coloring in
explanatory/example/illustration/idea models), you need to use one file for each
color, on each half.

The total part-file structure, taken to the logical extreme, would be:

- Shortcut part file, referencing all the other files
   - Plunger part file
      - Metal rod sub-part file
      - Black peg connector sub-part file
   - Cylinder part file
      - Yellow cylinder sub-part file
      - Black cap sub-part file

The sub-part files would be coded as color 16, and the files which reference
them would set the actual color to be used.

Steve