 CAD / Development / 3840
Re: 9v train idea book: I might be making one, anyone interested?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:12:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
If anybody has a Mac with a C compiler and access to opengl and GLUT (which
I think have been ported to the Mac) I could use them to build a Mac version
of ldglite.  It should build fairly easily since GLUT is pretty much window
system independent.  Any volunteers?

Don

Hello.

I just got into GL via Quesa. Yes, GLUT (ca 1994) is present in Apple's OpenGL
release.

I would be happy to give it a trial compile.

An aside. The widespread use of OpenGL on the Mac is recent. For most of Apple's
MacOS epoch, 3D was left up to third parties who implemented their own
technology. In 1993 the one serious drive to change that, QuickDraw 3D, did not
convince the big players to participate. Many startup vendors and CAD vendors
built on it however. In 1999 Apple bought Conix' port of OpenGL and decided it
could terminate QD3D, which was still a higher-level 3D API than OpenGL.
Presently, QD3D is being cloned by third parties as Quesa (rhymes with Mesa), to
work on top of OpenGL/GLUT (and on Linux too!) One ex-manager of QD3D at Apple,
Shawn Hopwood, is now a big cheese at SGI. Another ex-QD3D architect, Julian
Gomez, is a big Lego fan.