 CAD / Development / 35
34  |  36
Subject:
Double-mailings -- notice, apology, and fix
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 02:52:44 GMT

[Followups set to lugnet.admin.general]

Whoops -- my apologies if you have received a few double-mailings (if you're
subscribed to groups via e-mail).  The news-by-mail gateway is set up as a
cron job activated every 5 minutes.  It wasn't checking whether the previous
batch of mailings finished before launching a new batch, and it wasn't
locking the article-counts-file.  As a temporary workaround, I increased the
cron job time from 5 to 15 minutes.  I'll add some semaphore control and
then drop the time delay back to 5 minutes (maybe less).  Technical details:
There seem to be several .dk, .de, and .au SMTP servers giving the outgoing
mail transfer agent a hard time.  I don't think these slow down connections
to faster sites, however, or clog things beyond a reasonable response time.
(We'll see.)

Anyway, as always, please let me know if you experience any troubles,
including any problems unsubscribing from lugnet.cad.dev via e-mail and
subscribing instead through news.

--Todd