 CAD / Development / 3181
Re: Minifig Fire Helmet (3834)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:19:24 GMT

Hi

For the parts with some regularity (helmets etc) I draw them up on graph paper,
showing three projections, converting the curves to polygons/prisms, using
judgement as to the level of detail. Circular sections follow the 16-agon
standard, curves follow a similar scale of truncation. Often there are a lot of
intersection calculations to work through, and this is what takes the time.
Sometimes I need to draw up some areas at a larger scale to understand the
intersections. I always calculate the intersection points (rather than
estimating from the drawing) but the drawing gives a good reasonability check
of the results.

When coding I usually start with the inside (as this is the easiest - made up
of cyli/disc/edge primitives), then the underside and building up the outside
in layers. I find it useful to temporarily code the inside in a contrasting
colour, to help find holes in the outer surface. Also I tend to code each new
section in hard-coded colours, to see I have the alignment right, changing them
to colour 16 when I am happy. Often there is some symmetry which halves the
effort. In a fairly straightforward dome shape the conditional (type 5) lines
between the layers and around each layer are resonably easy, but their
complexity increases with more complex shapes.

I usually edit with LDAO with LDLite as the viewer. I have recently found the
four simultaneous views of MLCad to be helpful, but have not found a way to get
MLCad to reload the file and re-render (except for restarting the program).

I did start trying to draw the male hair part, but it is so irregular it is
really difficult to measure - so I am concentrating on the hats for the time
being (falling back to torsos when I cant concentrate that hard). The forestman
cap is on the "drawing board", but the area around the hole for the feather is
quite challenging. Would a mock-up without this feature be of any use?

Chris

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Joachim Probst writes:
Hi ,

at 17.10.99 Chris Dee wrote in a mail:

CD> Here, at last, is the Minifig Fire Helmet. As usual, any comments
CD> would be most welcome.

Great work, for my part!

But one question. How do you do such parts? I would like to start on
hairs and so on, but have no idea how to start such a work.
Doing stickers is much easier... :-)

CD> Enjoy - Chris (chris_w_dee@hotmail.com)

Bye,
   Joachim.