 CAD / Development / 29
Re: Proposal for Revised Memorial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:47:37 GMT

Kim Toll writes:
It seems very clear to me that the dividing line should be between layers
3 and 4.  If the parts are intended to stay together, and have very little
utility apart from their intended set, I'd call them an element.
Basically, I'm saying that anything TLG ships already assembled, whether
its factory-fused or just factory-snapped, should be considered one part.
So a horse body is one part (even though it has two part numbers, its
factory-fused) and a turn table is one part (even though its two parts
snapped together, its factory-snapped).  But the double 1x2 brick hinge is
two parts because TLG ships it (and sometimes uses it) as separate parts.

This makes the most sense to me.

I'd agree with you, except that TLG ships composite elements which also come
apart, such as minifig torso/arms/hands/head assemblies (not that I think L-
CAD is going to start releasing shortcut files like those particular TLG
elements).  I suppose if Todd hadn't used minifigs in his examples, I would
have drawn my line differently.

Oh, and the horses aren't fused.  You just have to be patient, they don't like
to come apart very fast.  It's pretty cool to have a horse looking over it's
shoulder (usually at the wagon driver).

Steve