 CAD / Development / 2774
Re: trying to guess the stud spacing by measuring bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 03:02:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I know you went several hundred studs in length if I recall, but is
there any chance that the stud center spacing is actually intended to be
8.000 mm ???

This is not intended as a slur against your measurement technique, but
an honest question. Dunno about the history of the very first molds,
etc... but is it possible?

No slur taken! (-:

Actually, what I think happened is this:

- Some company (it was in England somewhere, right?) stated making bricks,
using a nice round number standard like 5/16 inch or 8 millimeters

- LEGO bought the rights (or the company or the patent or all three, whatever)

- LEGO decided to make bigger bricks

- LEGO engineers realized they needed to set a precise standard for use in all
future designs of LEGO elements

- LEGO engineers tried the best they could to pick a standard that worked best
with all the bricks that had been sold up to that point

- This standard ended up being a little different because LEGO had to include
the gap allowance (like I described before, to make bricks fit well) and
because the original company's bricks were too small to make a really accurate
measurement anyway.

End result: now we have a standard that's a little "off" from whatever the
"original" was.

Which explains why, no matter who is measuring and how they measure, no-one
ever gets exactly 8 millimeters or exactly 5/16 inches or exactly anything
else.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13