 CAD / Development / 2771
2770  |  2772
Subject:
trying to guess the stud spacing by measuring bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:25:38 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Adam Howard writes:
[...] I used a caliper accurate to .001inches and measured the
thickness of ten walls from various parts.  The measurements ranged between
0.062 and 0.058 inches or 1.5748mm to 1.4732mm.
[...]
After taking some more samples I have decided I need to take a lot more.
So far I've measured about 20 parts varying in size from a 2x2x1 to a 1x6x1
as well as odd parts like a horse's hooves.  What I have found is contrary
to my original conversion and seems to support the 1mm=2.5LD units more,
but not quite. [...]

The reason your approach doesn't work is because all LEGO parts are
deliberately manufactured with a very tiny gap allowance on each
contact-surface dimension. If this weren't the case, the bricks would not fit
well when dirty or marred. It might help you to re-read tha paragraph I wrote
about this issue:

It is also worthwhile to note that LEGO bricks are always made
a little smaller than this dimension would suggest. For example, the
length of a 2x4 brick is a little less than 4 times 7.986 millimeters.
The length is diminished slightly so that there will be a small gap when
bricks are stacked next to each other. This gap allows for dust, marred
surfaces and other imperfections. If the gap were not there the bricks
would tend to push each other apart and the overall construction would
be less strong.

As a result, if you want to measure the stud spacing accurately, you can only
do so by constructing some type of large construction out of multiple
overlapping bricks, such as a long horizontal wall. That is how I got my value
of 7.986 +- 0.002 millimeters.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13