 CAD / Development / 2723
Re: Parts for LDraw or parts for POV-Ray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 19:07:17 GMT

"Lars C. Hassing" <lch@ccieurope.com> writes:
and Bram Lambrecht wrote in another posting:
L3P, which I'm pretty sure is the most commonly used, can use some
improvements, such as the use of .inc files for primitives and parts,
more realistic finishes, and maybe, more realistic lighting.

If you could elaborate and explain your ideas a bit more detailed
and maybe show some examples of realistic finishes and lighting,
I will be very interested.

I'm not sure which library has the most realistic finishes and colors,
but you may want to compare the output of Anton's, Lutz's, Paul's, and
your own definitions for LEGO colors and finishes.  I think Anton's
lego_finish and pure colors (ie <1,0,0> is red, etc) may yield the best
results, IMHO.
  Black is the major problem-- to make it realistic, you often lose
detailing shadows.  And also, tires and ABS black have different colors
and finishes.  Maybe you could add a switch to choose between
detail-showing black and realistic black?
  The slope bricks could use a rough surface, but most of that would be
solved by using parts from a library.  As I already mentioned, tires and
rubber hoses (and string in the future?) should also have different
finishes from regular bricks.
  As for more realistic lighting, I'm not sure.  Adding shadowless to
detailing lights gets rid of extra shadows.  I've also noticed that a
light with the same coordinates as the camera helps to highlight details.
  I'm no expert at raytracing, but I hope that helps!
--Bram