 CAD / Development / 2719
RE: Parts for LDraw or parts for POV-Ray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 07:51:34 GMT

Lutz Uhlmann wrote:
Bram Lambrecht wrote:
It may also take a lot of effort to match the scale, coordinate
system, and insertion point of the parts.  I know it was a real pain
for me trying to add an Anton Raves minifig to one of my L3P'd models,
and to mix L2P and L3P output for my Fallingwater landscape.[1]
How do the library authors feel about this?  If I remember correctly,
Lars had a combined LGEO-L3P in mind originally, but Lutz was reluctant.
I have no idea how Anton or Paul feel.

I think i wrote to Lars as he came out with L3P, but this somehow
got stuck and ended with nothing.

Well, I'm pretty sure you didn't, as I was anxious and alert about your
reactions to L3P. An "invitation" in the very first L3P announcement of
August 27th 1998:
Although the name "L3P" was not chosen to imitate Lutz's L2P, the two
programs are very much alike. In fact I think that they should merge.
L3P do produce good looking images which render relatively fast,
but the quality will never come close to that of the Lgeo parts.
If Lutz will allow me to use the Lgeo parts and supply some info about e.g.
the *.tab files, I think that I could "join forces" with little effort.
and some later on was apparently ignored?

But never mind that now.
I will be very happy to include support of the Lgeo parts in L3P, as
this has always been my dream from the very beginning of L3P. In fact
the reason for me starting programming in the LDraw world was the idea
to generate the MISSING parts on the fly[1]. However, as it turned out
that L3P could generate ALL parts with reasonable result, I decided to
release it before taking the next natural (but large?) step of using
the Lego parts.

Lutz continued:
Of course it is hard to give up something you created on your own.
I spent thousands of hours designing the parts, and still do when
I have the time to. Unfortunately this is not much at these months.
There are about 40 or 50 new parts waiting to be released, and all
the renumbering to be included in L2P, I hope to manage this by end
of August. Sometimes otherwise I fear that nobody is interested in
L2P anymore, since L3P can handle all parts theroretically when the
come out, even unofficial ones, this is an advantage of course.
This discussion gives me back some motivation to spent more efforts
in the development of L2P. I already thought about doing something
about the missing parts, like adding a call to L3P for missing parts
(this would free the user from the scaling problem) or adding a
similar method of on-the-fly creating missing parts directly, still
with the goal to be about 95% complete in parts, 100% is nearly
impossible with all the updates.
So i I add a call to L3P, L2P will not work completely with Linux,
or is there a L3P for Linux ? Adding the algorithm directly into L2P
will take some mor time. I will think about it and let me assure that
L2P still is in progress, even when you did not hear from me lately.

and Bram Lambrecht answered:

L3P already uses primitive substitution, so it would probably be easier
to add a call to LGEO from L3P.  While I appreciate your efforts in your
coverter, I believe your true forte is your realistic parts library.  L3P
is easier to use than L2P: the camera and lights are easier to place and
there is a quality switch to make processing faster.  I think time would
be better spent trying to combine efforts rather than trying to duplicate
all the pros of L3P.
Combined effort could lead to one amazing program instead of having
many competing slightly lesser programs.  L3P, which I'm pretty sure is
the most commonly used, can use some improvements, such as the use of
.inc files for primitives and parts, more realistic finishes, and maybe,
more realistic lighting.

I couldn't have expressed it better. It is my feeling too that it would
be easiest to let L3P use the high quality Lgeo parts while maintaining
L3P's automatic camera and light placement, primitive substitution, MPD
and ROTATE/SCALE/.. meta command support etc.  L3P also uses the
familiar LDraw coordinate system.

Steve Bliss: And this leads us back to the tantalizing, captivating
possibility of L3P-meets-L2P.  Oh, if only it were so.
John Van: That would be pretty awesome.  The idea of using those
truly quality parts with the limitless possibilities of L3P is
certainly intruiging.
-and many others during the last year.

I sincerely do hope that we together can work something out.
If OK with you, I'll e-mail you about the practical details,
which I have spent much time thinking about.
Best regards from a relieved and eager programmer
/Lars
Lars C. Hassing   "No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway."
L3P page: http://www.netby.net/Nord/Mandelvej/Hassing/l3p.html [1]
Homepage: http://www.netby.net/Nord/Mandelvej/Hassing/index.html