 CAD / Development / 2652
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:36:06 GMT

"Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> writes:
Adam Howard writes:
We're talking about ostracizing someone.
We are not talking about ostracizing anyone, only possible prohibition from
the cad.* group of newsgroups.

Well, yes and no, right?

* Yes in the sense that "ostracism" means (1) "a method of temporary
  banishment by popular vote without trial or special accusation practiced
  in ancient Greece" and (2) "exclusion by general consent from common
  privileges or social acceptance"   --<http://www.m-w.com/>

* No in the sense that we're not talking about prohibition per se from the
  cad.* group of newsgroups, but only about possibly removing _posting_
  privileges to those groups.  That is, in computerspeak, we're talking
  about read-only access:  disallowing writes but still allowing reads.
  Throwing the write-protect switch, as it were.

TimC and AdamH are putting together a CFV motion.  There may be several
semi-overlapping and/or independent options to consider:

  1) remove JW's posting privileges to lugnet.cad.dev
  2) remove JW's posting privileges to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
  3) remove JW's posting privileges to lugnet.cad.dev.dat.parts.*
  4) remove JW's posting privileges to lugnet.cad.dev.dat.*
  5) remove JW's posting privileges to lugnet.cad.*
  5) remove JW's posting privileges to lugnet.*
  6) fill-in-the-blank

As I understand it, some mix of the above would be the outcome if a
delivered ultimatum was not met within some proscribed time period.

If the community held a vote, and reached a consensus on what to do (via at
least a 2/3 majority), I would honor the community's decision to remove JW's
posting privileges (to whatever groups were decided upon), if it came down
to that.  The vote itself (at the discretion of the community) could of
course be further restricted to, say, a 3/4 or 4/5 majority (or higher),
thus making expulsion a bit more difficult.

A 1/2 majority leaves too much room for dissent for any measure of comfort.
A 2/3 majority leaves much less room for dissent because it means that for
every one person voting Nay, there are two people voting Aye.  A 4/5
majority leaves even less room for dissent because it means that for every
one person voting Nay, there are *four* people voting Aye.

--Todd