 CAD / Development / 2625
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:48:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, "Adam Howard" <abhoward10@hotmail.com> writes:
In defense of Jonathan:  He is obviously very enthusiastic about the
LDraw project.

Why does enthusiasm count more than quality?  I don't understand.

Did I say that?

[...]

But in answer to your question look at kids in school:  You
start out not knowing much and the quality of your work is poor, but if you
are enthusiastic about a subject you learn as much as you can about it and
gradually your quality improves.  It doesn't mean that enthusiasm is more
important than quality it just means without enthusiasm in something your
quality won't improve (those who are born geniuses are exceptions).

[...]

Adam,
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I neglected to point out perhaps the most
significant flaw with the "kids at school" way of looking at this.

I agree, enthusiasm is a great thing!!  And it goes a *loooong* way toward
fostering effective learning in school.  And I agree, someone's enthusiasm
for a subject is a good indicator that they are willing and able to improve.

OK.  That said,

In school, if there's someone in your class who's being annoying all the
time, your only hope is to talk to them about it, or, if that doesn't work,
talk to the teacher about it -- and in both cases, cross your fingers and
hope that it helps.

But either way, you're stuck in that class!  You can't say, "Gee, that Todd
at school sure has a big ego and he makes my life miserable...I'm not going
to go to school anymore."  You can't even say, "Gee, that Todd sure sure
mouths off a lot in class and ruins my learning experience...I'm going to
switch classes."  (OK, you -could- do that, but you know what I mean.)

So what's difference here?  Here, people *can* leave if someone annoys them!
And they are!

That's why enthusiasm, while always admirable, ought not to be held up on
quite so high a pedestal, IMHO.

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.admin.general]