 CAD / Development / 2593
Re: Parts for LDraw or parts for POV-Ray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 00:09:58 GMT

Leonardo Zide wrote:

  John VanZwieten wrote:

Perhaps we should take this debate to a more appropriate group:
lugnet.cad.dev.on-topic :-)

  Good idea, we shouldn't be discussing this in lugnet.flame.flame :)

  and Steve said:

And this leads us back to the tantalizing, captivating possibility of
L3P-meets-L2P.  Oh, if only it were so.  Hmm, did Lars publish the source
to L3P?  Hmm.  No, I'm too busy this year.  Maybe *after* the next update
to LDAO is put to bed.

  I've done that to LeoCAD a few months ago, when you export a file to
POV-Ray it first searches the LGEO library for the parts and then if it
cannot find something it generates the part like L3P (except that it
doesn't do the primitive substitutions). Did anyone try that ?

  and finally Paul asked:

Any interest in LDLite-meets-L3G0?

  L3G0 was one the things that got me interested in Lego again but it's
been a while since I last used it so I'm going to ask a stupid question:
Does it have many parts that are not in LGEO ?
  Maybe it would be a good idea to join both libraries in a single, more
complete one. We just would have to make sure that the center of each
part is in the same place and that they use the same units and axis
direction.

Leonardo

PS: I'm replying to 3 messages in a single post to make this feel like
the good old times in the L-CAD list[1]. ;)

[1] For those who don't know, we had a limit of 50 messages per day and
sometimes we had more posts and the list would get frozen.

There are parts in l3go and mabie even in lgeo that are not in ldraw yet. I
think that before a merge of lgeo and l3go is done then the l3go parts not in
ldraw should be done in ldraw.That way there would be nothing in the combined
library that was not in ldraw. We could even re-work some of the other
libraries (such as anton reaves excelent library with parts sich as the divers
bubble dome and train front sloping base)