 CAD / Development / 1829
Re: Where should I center this one?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 00:39:37 GMT

John VanZwieten wrote:

I'm trying to decide where to set the origin for the SW hinge pieces.  Normaly
I would center a hinge piece on its rotation axis, to make it easy to rotate
the hinge.  However, the rotation axis for these hinges is 9 LDU below the top
of the brick, meaning that a user would have to go to fine movement in LEdit to
place the brick on a normal model.  I think we'd find many of these bricks
placed 1 LDU into the brick or plate below it.

I think the insertion point should be the top of the brick - better one piece be
non-trivial to place than both.  Also, often the second half of the hinge will
be in a subfile, and therefore will be easier to manually center.

Also, what the heck should we call these things?  Obviously they should be in
the hinge category, but what then?  I've heard them called "toothed",
"serated," "click-brick," and probably several others.  And how should we
distinguish the male from the female in this case?  Since this type of hinge
occurs on the windscreen, the name should be "attachable" to other parts.

I would call them "Hinge Locking"
The piece with the single tounge is male to me, and the 2 fingers, female.

--Karim