 CAD / Development / 1654
Re: Pov-Ray background and camera angle help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 10:58:30 GMT

On Tue, 11 May 1999 03:19:22 GMT, "Nick Crocco" <swatlego@aol.com> wrote:

Hello. I recently created my first model on Ldraw, which took me like a week,
and I have posted in on my webpage (http://www.welcome.to/legoland) I was
wondering if anyone can tell me how to make my background on my creation to
the one that is all white and has shadows of the creation (like it is on a
white table or something). I also would like to know how you can chang camera
angles of the creation. All of this is in Pov-Ray, by the way. Any input is
highly appreciated. Thank you!!!!
~Nick

In the POV file, look for the line right above the Camera statement near the
end:
    // Background:
    background { color rgb <1,1,1>}

Those 3 numbers are RGB values (red,green,blue)
All ones=white.  All zeros=black.  All 0.5=medium gray.  1,0,0=red, etc.
So the range of 0 to 1 determines a colors intensity.

In order to have a shadow on a "floor", you have to have a floor. If you run
l3p with no command line parameters, you will see a help screen that shows a
bunch of parameters.  One of those is the -f  parameter.  So generate your
model using this parameter, and it will make a 'floor' statement in your file.
The -f command also has its own settings for floor type and location, but just
using -f will make a floor in a pretty good default position.

Camera angles.
in your POV file Camera statement, you will see something similar to this:
       location vaxis_rotate(<89.181,-76.1631,-64.3453>
those three numbers refer to a location system based on the
Cameras Latitude,Longitude,Radius = 30,45,0 degrees on an imaginary 'globe'.
On Lars l3p page (where you got the program), he has put a graphic explanation
of how this coordinate system works.  And how to figure out how to move the
camera around.

You will also see a section just below that shows where the camera is looking,
its "look_at_ coordinates:
    look_at  <2.32436,-5.24492,22.5113>

There is also a "cheat" way of figuring camera positions that I like to use.
After you have run your model through l3p, open up the model in LEdit.  Then
add a new piece to the model (I use light.dat for simplicity, but any small
piece will do).  Now move that piece to approximately where you think the
camere should be.  Sometimes it is tricky to figure out how close to the model
to put it - to close, and you can't see the whole thing.

Anyway, once placed, look at the coordinates of the piece in LEdit.  Those are
the 3rd, 4th, & 5th numbers on that pieces line, such as:
1 0 -24.0 18.0 -58.0
Now take those three numbers (-24.0, 18.0, -58.0), and plug them into your
models camera coordinates:
replace:     location vaxis_rotate(<89.181,-76.1631,-64.3453>
with:             location vaxis_rotate(<-24.0,18.0,-58.0>
Make sure you have the commas in between each number.

Do a test render in POV to see if it looks right.  Adjust the piece in LEdit as
necessary to get the right view.  Don't forget to update the camera coordinates
value after each change, and save the file before doing a test rendering.

You can also add another piece in LEdit to serve as the cameras "look_at".  Use
it the same way as the 'camera' piece.  Just place it where you want the camera
to look.  Then put that pieces coordinates into the 'look_at' section of the
POV camera:
    look_at  <?, ?, ?>

Pretty slick.  :-)

-- Terry K --