 CAD / Development / 1623
Re: Discussion-Large Technic Shock 2909c01.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 16:41:02 GMT

Terry wrote about scaling the spring:

I fear that doing it that way might result in some very noticeable flaws.
The upper and lower ends of the spring would be nicely proportioned, but
the center of the spring - where it was stretched or compressed - would
appear odd. The spring would no longer be round.  It would appear to be
oval instead.
What would the transition point between round and oval look like?

I do not understand why this should happen. When I scale/compress a spring
in the direction of its main axis only, in the real word as well as in the
virtual word, the cross section still remains circular, doesn't it ?

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

It took me a while to bend my mind around this one, but now I see Terry's
point.  Think of a cross-section of the metal of the spring itself what you
would see if you snipped it with wire-cutters (perish the thought).  You would
see a circle on the x-y plane.  If you compress the whole spring in the y
direction, you also compress the circular cross-section of the wire, which
would make it an oval.

I rather doubt this would be too obvious in LDraw, but in a POV'ed close-up it
could look strange, exp. where the compressed part of the spring meets the
uncompressed part.

I still think the value of allowing any-length springs outweighs the POV
distortion problem.  Including correct springs of several lengths would
minimize the required compression, too.  If you included springs at fully
extended, fully compressed, and two intermediate lengths, I bet you could
reduce distortions to a barely detectable level.

-John Van