 CAD / Development / 1431
Re: Quad intersections
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 18:37:22 GMT

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:35:09 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> wrote:

Based on Dave's formulae, I have been able to calculate the intersection of a
plane (given three points) and a line (given two points).  How do I then
determine whether the point of intersection falls within a quad (as in Dave's
"exercise left for the reader")?

Using quad points Q0 - Q3, point of intersection I.

For all lines QmQn, where I.X is between Qm.X and Qn.X, interpolate the
point Jmn on QmQn where Jmn.X = I.X.

If I.Z is between min(Jmn.Z) and max(Jmn.Z) then I lies within quad Q.  If
I.Z is equal to either min(Jmn.Z) or max(Jmn.Z), then I is on the edge of
the quad.

This is assuming that Q does not lie in a vertical plane.

There's probably a more elegant solution, but this one works.
Steve