 CAD / Development / 1307
Re: [ldraw.org] L3P Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:28:01 GMT

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:45:48 GMT, Tim Courtney <tcourtney@avenew.com> wrote:

Ahhh....

Well, I tried messing with some l3p stuff this morning to generate an image
for ldraw.org I would like to use.  I would like a red 2x3 brick with the
-q3 level with 'Lego' on the studs.  I can't get the right camera angle for
l3p or in the Povray source though.  I want a similar 3d view on the
element that is given in ledit, ldraw, and ldlite.  For some reason I
couldn't achieve that.  Could someone inform me the proper l3p command line
for this?  I would use l3pao but for some reason it doesn't write files on
my computer and I haven't looked into it further than the readme (which I
just skimmed this morning).  Please if someone could help, I would
appreciate it.  This rendering forms the basis for 2 of the images I want
to use for the site.

Two comments here.

It might not be too good an idea to go high profile with the use of the word
"LEGO" in the site.  James did not name the program "legodraw", and for a good
reason.  Starting up a slick websight presence as ldraw.org, and then openly
flaunting it as "LEGO"  would not be wise.  Corporate toes should not be
stepped on.
I strongly recommend that you avoid the implication of LDraw being officially
Lego.

Now, for the camera views.

First,  screw all the other methods of figuring out how to place a camera. Stop
trying to fathom  X,Y,Z coordinates with your fingers, and put your left hand
down.  :-)
Forget the lattitudes and longitudes, and translations and vectors and all that
other $%#!.

Once you have the .pov file made, go back into LEdit.  Place a light.dat about
where you want the camera to be.  Then place another one where you want the
camera to look_at  or point.

Save the file.   Open it in a text editor.  The first 3 coordinates of the
first light dat directly correspond to the camera location coordinates in the
pov file.   copy and past them from the .dat to the .pov.

Do the same with the second light.dat's coordinates.  Paste them into the
cameras Look_At  coordinates.

Make sure you paste into the proper places.

Render and thank me later.  :-)  (1)
Or better yet, thank Lars for using the same coordinate system that makes this
possible.  (2)

-- Terry K --
1.  If the render is not just right, go back to LEdit and move the light.dat's
around.  copy and paste some more.

2.  In case it is not obvious, this trick works for POV light coordinates as
well.  :-)