 CAD / Development / 11137
11136  |  11138
Subject:
CAD for Lego , and related research questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:20:21 GMT

Hi,

Way way back in 2000, I asked about CAD (Computer Aided Architectural Design)
for Lego(R) system on this forum.

Since 2000 a lot has changed, and I'd like to update my original analysis to a
much fuller one, based on intervening developments in both specifc Lego CAD
systems and CAAD in general.  However I'd appreciate some assistance or
citations to appropriate papers on what those major developments might be. (It
is appreciated that some CAAD systems are no more akin to 3D modelling tools,
Sketchup being a case in point)

I'd also be extremely interested to hear if Lego(R) based CAD/CAAD systems and
associated development work have been cited in academic research.

The original project work with which my 2000 enquiry was associated, however
related to modular-element 'space frame' construction systems, as opposed to the
largely 'block' based Lego(R) elements (Technic excepted)..

Therefore I'd also be interested to hear about CAD systems for other
'modular-element' construction systems, (using L-Draw platform or otherwise),
and in particular analysis of the interfaces used.

Given that a number of the readers of this group seem to have experience in
relevant areas, I felt it was reasonable to ask this question here, Please set
Followups accordingly :)

Alexander Farlie.