 CAD / Development / 11136
Re: LDView browser plugin?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2011 06:26:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Reuben Pearse wrote:
A possible starting place for this kind of project might be tapping into the new
WebGL capabilities of Firefox and Chrome (and hopefully once things have
standardized, other browsers as well).

See the following link for examples of WebGL in action:
http://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/Demo_Repository
(these demos require Firefox 4 with WebGL enabled to work)

I agree that this seems a good fit for WebGL, but there is one problem.
LDraw.org is FAR too slow to serve up the part files for a web-based viewer
without driving the user crazy.  A plugin could install a local copy of the
parts library.

--Travis

Yes, I forgot about the parts library. That would definitely pose a difficulty.

-Mike