 CAD / Development / 10651
LDLink: reversibly merge part libraries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:46:05 GMT

Hi, folks. After reading some of the recent posts discussing support for
unofficial parts and part directories, I decided to release this script I wrote
to help manage the unofficial parts I use.

I keep my unofficial parts in a parallel part library located at
LDRAWDIR/Unofficial. (I believe this is also where LDView downloads unofficial
parts; Bricksmith, at least my build, also recognizes this location.) L3P, on
the other hand, doesn't look here for parts.

LDLink can merge and unmerge these part libraries. Running "ldlink merge" puts a
link to each unofficial part at the corresponding location in my official part
library. Running "ldlink unmerge" removes these links. Therefore, I can use
ldlink to make my unofficial parts temporarily visible to L3P and similar
programs.

Conflicts with regular files that exist in both libraries are reported without
touching anything; merging proceeds. Libraries other than LDRAWDIR and
LDRAWDIR/Unofficial can be specified with -dst and -src options, respectively.

http://anoved.net/2007/07/ldlink.html

The script originated as a quick hack. I can't guarantee that it will handle all
cases or that it even constitutes a sensible solution. (For instance, I didn't
realize until recently that L3P understood absolute part reference paths -
neat.) Nevertheless, I figured it would be good to share this as an example if
nothing else.

I'm not actively developing this, but I definitely welcome feedback.

Jim