 CAD / Development / 10571
10570  |  10572
Subject:
Public LDView 3.2 Alpha for Windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:21:36 GMT

Due to some of the problems that exist in LDView 3.1 (command line snapshots and screensaver preferences), I’ve decided to do a public alpha release of LDView 3.2. Please note that this version will only run on Windows computers with Unicode support. I believe that means Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Vista. (If someone wants to help me test on a Windows 9x box, please contact me. I think there’s a change I can make that will make it work there.) Note that the official release will either work fine on Windows 9x, or I will release a non-Unicode variant for people to use.

Please note that this is an alpha release. As such it is likely to contain more bugs than a normal “stable” release, and it’s not feature-complete like I try to make my beta releases. And the Unicode changes that are in progress mean that it’s possible that features that weren’t actually changed at all in the release were actually broken. Having said that, command line snapshot generation should be fixed, as well as screensaver preferences.

The help file has been partially updated for this release. Some of the new functionality is documented, some isn’t. In addition to bug fixes, this version contains the following new features:
  • HTML Parts List generation
  • Arbitrary control over the light angle (hold shift, then click and drag with the left mouse button)
  • Support for anisotropic filtering of the stud logo (on video cards that support this)
  • Windows Explorer extension for generating thumbnails with LDView*
  • Panning via middle mouse button (control left drag was required before; that still works)
* If you install the thumbnail Explorer extension, you likely won’t be able to fully uninstall LDView without first rebooting, then uninstalling before browsing any folders in Explorer that contain .ldr or .mpd files. Also, if this crashes, it will crash Explorer. Finally, if you leave an older version of LDView installed along with LDView 3.2, and you run that version, the thumbnail extension will then try to use that version of LDView for thumbnail generation, and it will fail (possibly spectacularly). Don’t install this if you aren’t comfortable with living on the bleeding edge. (There’s a check box during the install process that is unchecked by default. You have to check that in order for this part to be installed.)

For now, you can download it from here:

http://www.halibut.com/~tcobbs/ldraw/private/LDView-3200a4.exe

--Travis