 CAD / Development / 10027
Re: Very small triangle and a quad that thinks its a tri
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:55:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, William Howard wrote:
Whilst working out the non-right-angled cylinder intersection sub-parts for the
Boat Rigging pieces I have run into two related problems

1) I have a triangle A-B-C that is so tiny that L3P reports it as co-linear and
L3Lab doesn't render it (it looks OK in MLCad though)
2) I have a large quad C-B-D-E that L3P reports B-C-E as co-linear and L3Lab
doesn't render (but again looks OK in MLCad)

Now the triangle and the quad share the very short edge B-C but are not
co-planar so I can't replace them by any larger combinations.  Also, omitting
A-B-C and making the quad into a tri leaves obvious gaps as the sub-part is
scaled when it is used.

Should I
a) ignore these "errors" as they arn't really errors and assume that other
renders will render them OK (like MLCad does)
b) pre-scale the sub-part (which seems counter-intuitative as it then doesn't
follow the pattern of the right-angled cylinder intersection sub-parts)

I'm guessing this is a limitation of the accuracy of the l3p -check, so probably
ignorable.

I think so too.
William, could you please e-mail me the actual coordinates of A, B, etc.,
and perhaps the whole file.
I'll send you the whole file (its not complete yet), but the values for the tri
are
  A (0.989107, -1, 0)
  B (0.997785, -0.98677, 0.06652)
  C (0.997785, -1, 0.06652)