 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 410
Re: CCW vs CW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 21:20:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Christian Lindblad Rasmussen wrote:
   Would it be an advantege to use CCW throughout primitives, subparts and parts?

Christian

If it’s not a whole lot of trouble, I would recommend it. (The conversion can be made automatic, as long as the individual files clearly state CW or CCW correctly.)

Speaking as a computer graphics professional, I can say for sure that being consistent is always an advantage. If software authors can assume that all primitives are CCW, then it makes programming somewhat easier, and there is one less source of bugs. CW versus CCW issues are a constant annoyance in graphics programming, and it would be nice if the LDR database could stay clear of that.

Having a DAT file state its convention, CW or CCW, was a good and much needed first step, but I see it as a reasonably simple remedy for the previous lack of consistency, not as a satisfactory final solution.

Stefan Gustavson