 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6391
Re: Fixing the liftarms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 06:23:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Timothy Gould wrote:
Hi all (and especially Chris Dee),

I find the inconsistency in the naming of liftarms in LDraw to be quite
frustrating and was wondering whether or not it would be worth setting a
standard name class and sticking to it.

Here's a sample list:

Technic beam 11
Technic beam 4x0.5
Technic liftarm 1x2 (even though it's also half thick)
Technic liftarm 1x3 straight

I'd be quite happy to go through the list and rename them to a standard format
if I knew that it would be useful. I'd prefer to have a good format first
though.

Any thoughts?

Tim

We are aware of this and do have a plan to rectify it. Steve and I went through
this a while ago, with a view to distinguishing between beams and lift-arms and
consistently naming the beams.

I recall our thinking was that "liftarm" would become a qualifier for beams that
included a technic axle hole at one end, and that narrow beams would include a
thickness designation (0.5). Parts like
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=32523
cannot really function as a liftarm, hence the current Parts Tracker version is
OK as it stands.
But http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/6632.dat is now OK.

I'll send the the list by PM, and we can discuss offline.

Chris